The municipality does not currently regulate or restrict the destruction of trees on privately-owned property.

What changes are being proposed?

Private property owners may require a permit to remove mature trees if their property is:

  • located 30 meters (98.4 ft) from shoreline and less than 0.5 hectares (1.2 acres) in size; or
  • greater than 0.5 hectares (1.2 acres) in size.

Cutting down mature, healthy, non-hazardous trees in Environmental Protection areas will not be allowed. Visit the Tree Preservation By-law map to find out if your property will be affected by this change.

Fees depend on your property size. These fees were determined based on the replacement cost of a mature sapling and will go to fund municipal initiatives in preservation and enhancement of tree and hedgerow cover in the municipality.

  • $425 or replace with one mature sapling, if property is less than 0.5 hectares (1.2 acres) in size.
  • $1700 or replace with four mature saplings, if property is more than 0.5 hectares (1.2 acres) in size.
  • Fee exemptions for unhealthy trees, low income residents, and affordable housing developments.

Exemptions to this by-law include:

  • Specific Operations (agriculture, aggregates, cemetery, golf clubs, tree nurseries, forestry)
  • Trees that pose a hazard to structures
  • Cutting down buckthorn (non-native invasive species)
  • Cutting related to septic installation or repair within 30 metres of a shoreline
  • Trees that are used as wood fuel to heat your own home.

Why is this change being proposed?

This By-law change aligns with the municipality's strategic priority of a Healthy Environment and is in support of the Council-adopted Healthy Environment Plan 2019 and Lake Management Plans.

Terms Defined

Mature Trees: 5 inches (12cm) in diameter. You can determine the diameter of a tree by measuring the circumference at 4.5 feet (1.37 meters) from the ground and dividing that number by 3.14.

Unhealthy tree:

Unhealthy tree: determined by a professional to be damaged, infected by something contagious to other trees, and/or will die.

Hazardous Tree: damaged or destroyed trees that should be removed in the interests of public safety, health and general welfare following any man-made or natural disasters, storms, high winds, floods, fires, snowfall, freezes or as a result of insects, disease or wildlife

Environmental protection areas: zoning area designated in the municipality's official plan. Find out your property's zoning by visiting our Property and Planning map.

Low income - “high need households” as defined under Ontario Regulation 370/11 to the Housing Services Act, 2011, upon receipt of sufficient proof of income. High need households and household income limits: Bachelor Unit $16,500; One bedroom unit $20,400; Two bedroom unit $24,300; Three bedroom unit $27,000; Four bedroom or more unit $25,700.

How to Jump In

1. Fill out the survey before December 22, 2023. Council will receive your feedback and consider it to make the decision on the future By-law.

2. Feedback on the proposed By-law can be submitted at any time by emailing

3. Follow this project to receive updates as it moves forward.



Provide a short summary of your question.

You have 150 characters left

Provide detailed information relating to your question.

You have 500 characters left

Select a respondent from the list that you would most like to answer your question.

Moderation Policy

These are the people that are listening and responding to your questions.

Robyn Carlson

City Solicitor

{{ question.username }} asked


{{ }}
| Edited

Answer this question

Select the respondent who will be marked as answering the question

Provide the answer to the question. Answer can be saved as draft and published when complete.

No questions found

News feed